Low Back and Hip Pain
Citrus Alternative Medicine
By: Joseph E. Samuels, D.O.M.
Doctor of Oriental Medicine
For as long as human beings have existed, it would be fair to say that all people have suffered and will continue to suffer with different medical conditions and that many of us will experience low back or hip pain at some point in our lives. Physicians in every culture throughout the history of our world have tried to relive this suffering by creating different diagnostic techniques and treatment strategies. Oriental Medicine is the oldest form of medicine known and has successfully treated more patients than all other forms of medicine combined. This field of medicine has existed for over 5,000 years and contains the largest body of accumulated medical knowledge to date. Over the span of this time, millions of Doctors of Oriental Medicine have experimented with, wrote about and shared their knowledge, creating what is known today as “Traditional Oriental Medicine”. There are many different reasons why people experience low back and hip pain. There are also many different treatment strategies for correcting this condition from both an Eastern and Western medical perspective. As a Doctor of Oriental Medicine here in the State of Florida, I see patients who suffer with this condition on a daily basis. Oriental Medicine is very effective in treating this medical condition although some patients do require surgery.
Listed below are a few examples of why people experience low back and hip pain as well as some of the therapeutic actions Oriental Medicine has on the body.
- Muscle tears, spasms, cramps and overall tightness
- Ligament or tendon damage
- Bone fractures or deformities
- Vertebral disc herniation or erosion
- Nerve damage or impingement
- Reduced range of motion, swelling and inflammation
- Joint deterioration
- Chondroprotective function to protect joint destruction and cartilage erosion
- Osteogenic function to promote generation of new bone
- Anti-inflammatory effect to reduce inflammation and swelling
- Analgesic action to alleviate pain
- Muscle-relaxant effect to relieve muscle cramps and spasms
- Greatly aids in the quick recovery from surgery
From an Oriental Medical perspective, Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicinals are generally used to treat low back and hip pain along with counseling on proper nutrition and life style instruction which is essential for a quick, healthy recovery.
Also, in some cases, Doctors of Oriental Medicine will incorporate Western medical diagnostics such as X-rays, MRIs and other medical imaging techniques into their initial medical evaluation because certain structural deformities and medical conditions can only be seen through the use of this technology.